Many homeowners use Slate as their roof material choice. It is made using fine-grained sedimentary rocks used in construction. This makes the rocks sturdy and durable, making Slate the perfect material for roofs. With proper installation and maintenance, slate roofs can last at least 100 years. In addition, they are weather resistant.
Without regular maintenance, your slate roof may create minor leaks or holes. This will develop into a roof leak leading to a slate roof repair or an entire slate roof replacement. If this happens, hire a Sacramento, CA Slate Roof Repair Service. If the damage is minimal, you can repair it yourself.
DIY Slate Roof Repair
If there is minimal damage on your slate roof, you can repair it yourself. This will save you money, but you may puncture, damage or displace shingles without knowing. Hiring the best contractor for Slate Roof Repairs in Sacramento can prevent this issue.
Here are tips if you decide to do it yourself:
Before you get started: Make sure you can climb on your roof safely. Your safety is the first priority. Make sure you have another person watching you as you climb up to do the repairs. Clean any mold and debris growth and snow/ice from the slate before you begin working on them. Make sure you have the correct tools for repairing Slate roofs. They require special equipment to repair. The better tools you use, the better the quality of repair you will do. Here are the tools which you will need: ● Hammer ● Flight pry bar ● Slate ripper ● Slate cutter ● Caulk gun ● Chicken Ladder ● Tin Snips
Step 1 - Remove the Old Slate The first step is to find the damaged slate and remove it. You will need to know where any roof leaks are in your house. If you cannot find the leak or the damaged roof tile, call in the best Sacramento, CA company for Slate Roof Repair.
If you find the roof leak damage, use the slate ripper to extract the nails on the slate. A pair of wire cutters can be used instead of slate rippers.
Step 2 - Repair You have 2 options when it comes to slate roof repairs. You can use roof tar on the source of the leak for temporary repairs on minor damages. This can be used as an emergency fix while you wait out bad weather or while you wait for a professional slate roof repair to fix the leak.
DIY Permanent Slate Tile Roof Repair
If you have confidence in repairing your broken slate tiles, here are steps to follow:
● Cut the nails attached to the damaged slate. Use Slate rippers or Wire Cutters. ● Measure the size of the new slate: Determine the gap from the damaged slate. Multiply by two. Then add 3 inches. This ensures the new slate overlaps the slates underneath. ● Slide the slate into place ● Create a countersinking. Punch a hole at the back of the slate. This allows the slate to lie flush within the gap. ● Use a copper nail to hammer the replacement slate into place. ● Lay a copper bib over the nail, by sliding it under the overlying slate.
Slate Tile Roof Maintenance
Repairing slate tile roofs can be simple but also it requires knowledge in knowing how to use the tools and how to correctly repair the tiles. Regularly maintenance on your slate roof is the best way to prevent serious damage. This will increase the longevity of your roof. Here are slate roof maintenance and inspection tips that you can apply:
1. Spring Inspections. Proper maintenance and inspections can save you money. Spring is a good time to spot roof problems early. As harsh winters can mask potential problems and increase the chance of roof damage.
If you are doing self-inspection, do not climb up the roof by yourself. You may risk damaging your roof or hurting yourself. You can use binoculars or hire a Sacramento roof repair contractor to inspect your roof. When using your binoculars, look for the following signs:
1. Broken or missing shingles 2. Cracking or curling shingles 3. Algae or moss 4. Damaged flashing
For a thorough inspection hire the best Slate roof repair service in Sacramento to help carry out your Slate roof inspection. They are more likely to find trouble spots that you may have missed.
2. Trim any trees Trees contribute to roof damage as the fallen leaves, drone pine needles and branches traps moisture resulting in mold. This will weaken your shingles through erosion. Fallen branches can also scape and damage your roof protection.
3. Clear your roof regularly Over time, the build-up of debris from fallen leaves and branches clog your gutters, preventing rainwater from flowing. This leads to an overflow promoting moss and algae growth that creates roof leaks.
You can remedy this problem by using a leaf blower or hose to clean your gutter.
How much does slate roofer in Sacramento cost?
Slate roof repairs are more expensive than other roof repairs. An accurate cost can be provided through an assessment by a roof repair specialist. Depending on the extent of the damage, the average costs of Slate Roof and Leak Repairs in Sacramento, CA range from $700 to $2,000.
How to find the best slate roof repair specialist near me?
We are the Best Sacramento Slate Roof Repair Company. Our company provides you with affordable Slate roof repairs, using the best roof repair specialists in Sacramento, CA that understand your problems to help rebuild your roof.
If you need help repairing your roof, contact us today. Get the best deals for your roof problems